Afterschool Snack and Meal resources
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP): Under the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA), the at-risk afterschool meals component of the Child and Adult Care Food Program offers Federal funding to afterschool programs that serve a meal or snack to children in low-income areas.
- Childcare Resources, Inc (Virginia): Through the Afterschool Snack and Meal Program, Childcare Resources Inc. can provide out-of-school time sites full-service sponsorship of the Federal Child and Adult Care Food Program, including state applications, training, monitoring, food procurement, meal preparation, and delivery.
Summer Lunch Resources
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP): Under the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA), The SFSP is a federally-funded, state-administered program that reimburses providers who serve free healthy meals to children and teens in low-income areas during the summer months when school is not in session.
Take Home Food Resources
- Virginia Food Bank: Virginia’s largest hunger-relief network, composed of the seven regional Virginia/Washington DC food banks (Blue Ridge, Capital Area, Fredericksburg Area and Virginia Peninsula Area Foodbank, Feeding America Southwest, Feedmore Inc. and Feeding America Southwest Virginia). Out-of-school time providers may check with their local bank, most of which participate in the Kids Café and Backpack programs. The Kids Café, a national program created by Feeding America™, serves meals afterschool for children of low-income families. The Backpack program serves youth by discreetly distributed bags/backpacks filled with food, prior to weekends or holidays, that are child-friendly, non-perishable, and easily consumed.
- No Kid Hungry: No Kid Hungry is a national campaign to connect youth in need with nutritious food and teaches their families how to cook healthy, affordable meals. The campaign also engages the public to make ending childhood hunger a national priority. Out-of-school time providers can access outreach materials, grant information, case studies, and toolkits for establishing and operating a summer and afterschool meal programs, including mobile meals programs.